Thursday, December 29, 2011

these are a few of my favorite things...

Well Hello

Its been awhile, I know.. I've been uninspired.. but I am going to try to keep this updated this year.. I figured lets keep this first blog back easy, breezy, and uncontroversial (but dont worry, it wont last long)

Since christmas is now over, and the new year is upon us.. what better to talk about then beauty regimens?! We all know we have at least 1 gift we want to return (that ugly pastel bag from a great aunt perhaps) .. We also all know that we are going to make at least a dozen promises to ourselves about how this year we will blah, blah, blah.. that we won't follow through on, but they sound good. Why not at least start off on the right foot, then.. before we just slump right back into our old habits?

I am going to touch on Skin and Make-Up. If you want weight loss/exercise advice go find Jillian Michael's blog. I am not that girl. I love to eat, and I have no good advice on that topic. Plus, Lately the most exercise I am getting is unwrapping gifts, and even then..most of them were in bags. But I swear to change that in 2012!!!! (cough, see last line of second paragraph)

SKIN
I have one word for everything skin related... SABON.. I swear by Sabon..it is the best stuff in the business..my whole body feels like a babies ass.. I swear..

My two favorite Sabon products:
Vanilla Coconut Body Scrub
Vanilla Coconut Body Butter Creme



They have them is so many different scents, so if Vanilla Coconut isn't your thang.. they definitely have a scent for you. Your body will thank you, and so will your man. While your there, pick up some of the delicious oils and candles available as well. It can make for a very fun evening. www.SABONNYC.com. PLUS.. they have a new year sale going on.. so go ahead and check it out.

MAKE-UP
OoOo Everyone who knows me knows i LOVEEEE make-up. And of course, I am going to tell you the best place to go is Sephora. If you stick to the Sephora brand stuff as opposed to the other name brand stuff, you can actually get really high-quality at cheaper prices.

One of my favorite things I recently learned about through a makeup artist friend of mine is a foundation brush. Kiss cotton balls and those weird foamy things good-bye. It spreads everything so evenly its like a dream. Topped off with a good bronzer ..its the best combination. Its like peanut butter and jelly for your face!

You don't need to go to Sephora though. I have found plenty of awesome items in my local drug-store as well. Rimmel has some great, funky products, and they are so inexpensive!! Also the timeless Loreal, Revlon, ect. Just because it is more expensive, doesn't mean its better. Putting on an eyeshadow primer can make any color last 24 hours (believe me i have slept in my makeup enough times to know .. which is terrible for your skin by the way, so try not to do that hahaha)

Since everyone has different skin types, I cant sit here and tell you what brand to get. I will be honest though, spending all this money on high priced cover-ups is not necessary. I HIGHLY recommend Bare Minerals. It really blends with your skin, and you don't get that caked on- dried out.. im from Jersey and I applied WAY too much foundation look (sorry new-jersey girls.. but you know EXACTLY what im talking about).. When it comes to foundation, the best way to keep it is as simple as possible.. that old saying applies: less is definitely more.

ALSO, for the love of god.. get a color that matches your skin. If you want a tanner look get a nice bronzer a COUPLE of shades darker than your complextion. If you are a white girl who should be wearing a #2 beige and you are getting a #10 dark made for a dark complextion. That is a huge N.O NO... When your face is the color of mud, and your neck is the color of milk.. the jig is up.. sorry.

Now, I am going to  do a quick break down of what I feel are the best eyeshadows for different eye colors.. to really make them pop. This comes from personal experience, and doing makeup on others..You don't have to agree with me, personally I don't care if you do or don't :)

Browns: 
The richness, and beauty of brown eyes can REALLY come alive with different shades of purple. It will also make any green specs you have in there jump out. Also, I find shimmery greens work great with brown eyes as well. Pairing a purple shadow with a brown eyeliner is always a good look for brown eyed girls.

Blues:
Use brown and rose shadows. Warm hues will contrast the coldness of blue eyes, making them really pop. Greys and Silvers also work really well with a dark liner for an evening look.

DONT .. DO NOT go for aqua shade that will compete with your blue color.. This will make you look like your aunt who wore deep blue wet and wild in the 70's..(and who is possibly still wearing it) Go with a very different-colored shadow for an eye-opening contrast.

Green:
All women with green eyes look great in brown colors from light beige's to deep chocolate browns. Purples and pinks also complement with green eyes. Some people will suggest that you shouldn't wear green shadow if you have green eyes. However, light green can be very flattering when applied sparingly. 
 
Hazel:
You lucky bitches!!

Women with hazel eyes are able to enjoy the widest spectrum of shadow shades.. but  avoid using an excessive amount of blue-hued shadow. It can dull down hazel eyes and have the opposite effect of what you hope to achieve. Go toward more neutral colors such as brown, gold, pink, lavender, plum, khaki and mocha are great ones too. Purple shades contrast your color, making eyes look dramatic. Warmer shades of mocha complement the green hue in hazel eyes, giving a natural effect.

Another general guideline for eyeshadow application for all colors is - OPPOSITES ENHANCE.. kind of like that Paula Abdul song.. but not as cheesy.

Mascara for me, and most women is an absolute must. It can do wonders all on its own. The choice with this is yours whether you are looking for long and full, or dark and chunky.. is totally up to you.. Again, I recommend the Sephora Brand Mascara's.. They last without clumping, and they have an array of types. I also really like Maybelline. They have so many different types to choose from, and they all work well  

Well.. thats all I have for now.. Check back soon for lipsticks, lip-glosses, and everything in between.. that requires its own blog all together.. and frankly, im tired of typing..who would have thought such a small part of the entire body would cause such a big fuss. Sexy lips are where its at. Just one quick tip about lipstick.. keep it off your teeth.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment